Pages

30 November 2016

Crochet Ribbed Cowl - Scheepjes Secret Garden



Don't you love a big squishy cowl?

This Scheepjes Secret Garden silk blend yarn is an absolute delight! Although I have to admit that I've struggled with what to do with it.  I'd had one ball sitting in my work trolley for a few weeks just waiting for inspiration.

Of course it helps when the yarn knows what it wants to be and won't be forced into anything I want it to be.  Fortunately this yarn screamed from my work trolley the other night "CROCHET RIB YOU TWIT"  It wasn't a quiet nudge, it was all out demand. I'm not going to argue with a Scheepjes yarn, it's my favourite brand and I've yet to come across one that I don't like.

 


This yarn is a lovely blend of 20% silk, 20% cotton and 60% polyester, It has the iconic Scheepjes centre pull start tab but be careful with your initial pull as the silk content can cause a wee bit of drag. The silk also makes for what I call a 'grabby' yarn meaning it will cling to itself which will make frogging just a tad more of a careful process.  I initially tried this yarn on a bamboo hook  and hated it.  After trying again on my Clover Amour the love affair began. I think the smoother surface of a metal hook is more suited to the silk as I found my wooden knitting needles were not as smooth with this yarn as my Chiaogoo metal needles.

This yarn comes with a recommended hook or needle size of 4.00mm  but I found that a larger hook was more preferable.   I used the Lavender Beds colourway but you can find the full range of  10 colours here.



For this cowl I used a 5.00mm Clover Amour hook and a starting chain of 110 stitches, joined in the round with a slip stitch.  If you are using other yarn and hook sizes I recommend making a chain of any even number as long as it takes to fit comfortably over your head.  Of course if you want to make a more infinity type scarf you crochet your chain to your desired length.


My cowl used 3 balls of Scheepjes Secret Garden, each 50gr ball contains 93m.


R1.  Ch3 and Dc into the next stitch and every stitch around joining with a slip stitch around the ch 3 beginning.

R2.  Ch2  (this does not count as a stitch) FPDC around the first stitch of the row beneath. BPDC round the next st.  *FPDC, BPDC* to the end, join with a slip stitch.

Repeat row 2 until your cowl is as deep as you like.

Weave in your ends with a darning needle

That's it!

This cowl took me approximately 4 hours from start to finish so it's a nice quick project.



You can find a video tutorial for Front Post and Back Post stitches by Creatiknit here.

 This yarn can be found at Scheepjes Stockists, and internationally from Wool Warehouse and Deramores.

Thanks to Bec Watt for reading through and helping me with the written instructions for this cowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time out of your day to comment and share your thoughts..